Want to hear Natalie Imbruglia covering Daft Punk?
Nearly two decades ago Natalie Imbruglia launched her career with a cover of forgotten Los Angeles band Ednaswap’s song ‘Torn’ – now she’s making a comeback with a new album of covers, including her version of Daft Punk’s collaboration with Julian Casablancas, ‘Instant Crush’.
Male, Imbruglia’s first album since 2009, features 12 covers originally performed by men (and robots) including Daft Punk, Death Cab For Cutie, The Cure and Neil Young. There’s also a version of fellow Australian singer Josh Pyke’s song ‘The Summer’.
Imbruglia says she wanted to record her version of ‘Instant Crush’ to make the meaning of the lyrics clearer. “On the original version, you can’t really hear what the song is about because of the effect that Julian’s voice has, which I love, by the way,” she explains. “However, it is such a beautiful story that I want people to hear it and connect with the words. I’m really proud of the way it turned out.” Listen below.
1. ‘Instant Crush’ (Daft Punk)
2. ‘Cannonball’ (Damian Rice)
3. ‘The Summer’ (Josh Pyke)
4. ‘I’ll Follow You Into The Dark’ (Death Cab For Cutie)
5. ‘Goodbye in His Eyes’ (Zac Brown Band)
6. ‘Friday I’m in Love’ (The Cure)
7. ‘Naked as We Came’ (Iron & Wine)
8. ‘Let My Love Open the Door’ (Pete Townshend)
9. ‘Only Love Can Break Your Heart’ (Neil Young)
10. ‘I Melt With You’ (Modern English)
11. ‘The Waiting’ (Tom Petty)
12. ‘The Wind’ (Cat Stevens)