Soundwave to step up security following flare incident
Maddah told the Sydney Morning Herald that the average security guard wouldn’t have recognised a flare but that future security briefings will now address that issue. “Security staff have been looking for knives or alcohol to this point so this adds a new dimension,” Maddah told The SMH. Soundwave security staff will receive training to identify and confiscate flares at the upcoming festivals in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.
The Soundwave boss also took the blame for widespread media reports that a female punter had been “disfigured” by a flare let off during Bring Me The Horizon’s set. “I was really upset, I was losing my mind through tiredness and I was told those things burn at 180 degrees and that it touched anyone it would disfigure them,” Maddah explained. “Thankfully I was wrong about it.” A woman claiming to be the victim of the Soundwave flare incident posted a message on her Tumblr yesterday reporting that she had only received several stitches to her shoulder, not a severe burn to her forearm as reported.
Maddah also praised Soundwave fans for helping police identify the man suspected of smuggling the flare into the festival. “Soundwave is such a strong community that people help each other out more than security or event staff can,” Maddah said. “Thanks to smartphones, we’ve had at least a dozen people send us photos of this moron’s face and his name and details. But just to demonstrate his complete stupidity he’s gone home and bragged about it on Facebook. We’ll be passing all those details onto police.”
The Soundwave tour will recommence this Friday (March 1) at Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne, before winding up in Adelaide (Bonython Park on March 2) and Perth (Claremont Showground on March 4). All dates are sold out.