Pond, Eagle and the Worm, Davey Lane & more cover garage rock classics
Australian garage rock musicians including Davey Lane, Pond, Eagle and the Worm, , , , Velociraptor, Baptism of Uzi, and more have been recruited to record covers of songs from the classic Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From the First Psychedelic Era: 1965-1968 compilation. Understanding the significance of that bit of news might require a history lesson, so here we go.
Nuggets was compiled by Lenny Kaye, a music journalist who would go on to play guitar in the Patti Smith Group. Kaye used the album to collect a set of obscurities from relatively unknown bands all over America who had ignored the trends of the day in favour of kicking out jams – bands who would otherwise likely have been forgotten, like The Chocolate Watchband, Nazz, and The Electric Prunes. In his book Retromania, Simon Reynolds says, “at a time when everything in rock was about subtlety, Nuggets was a dissident gesture”.
Nuggets was so popular that streams of copycat albums followed, including Pebbles, Boulders and Rubble, all unearthing a rich vein of 1960s garage rock that was almost lost. Nuggets was also popular among early proto-punk bands, and its revisionist view of the past was inspirational to the punk movement.
Fast forward to today, and we can still see its influence on today’s bands. Australia is enjoying a renaissance of garage rock and this new compilation being put together to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the release of Nuggets features many of the musicians responsible for it. Check out the track listing below to see who is taking on what.
Nuggets: Antipodean Interpolations of the First Psychedelic Era will be available from Warner on November 23, alongside a remastered version of the original and a new compilation of Australian rock from the period called Down Under Nuggets: Original Australian Artyfacts 1965-1967.
Nuggets: Antipodean Interpolations of the First Psychedelic Era tracklisting:
1. Velociraptor – ‘I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)’
2. Pearls – ‘Dirty Water’
3. The Straight Arrows – ‘Lies’
4. Tiny Migrants – ‘A Public Execution’
5. The Living Eyes – ‘Oh Yeah’
6. Davey Lane – ‘Moulty’
7. Palms – ‘Don’t Look Back’
8. Eagle and the Worm – ‘An Invitation To Cry’
9. Step-Panther – ‘Liar Liar’
10. The Laurels – ‘You’re Gonna Miss Me’
11. The Murlocs – ‘Psychotic Reaction’
12. Pond – ‘Hey Joe’
13. The Gooch Palms – ‘Just Like Romeo and Juliet’
14. Baptism of Uzi – ‘Baby Please Don’t Go’
15. The Frowning Clouds – ‘Let’s Talk About Girls’
16. Montero – ‘My World Fell Down’
17. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard – ‘Open My Eyes’
18. Bloods – ‘Farmer John’