International news round-up: “that shitty boy band”
Van Halen versus One Direction, Drake’s graduation, Paul McCartney back in the studio – all this, and more, in our weekend round-up of international news.
– Wolfgang Van Halen, son of Eddie Van Halen and current bass player in the band Van Halen, does not like . And apparently, they don’t like him either. While in a hotel in Birmingham they crossed paths, with Wolfgang tweeting about it afterwards. “Fun fact: Was just insulted by that shitty boy band #OneDirection in the lobby of our hotel this morning! Greetings Birmingham!” Later in the day he tweeted “They must call themselves that because all of their hair points in #OneDirection”, which was then retweeted 811 times and favourited 245 times. FL will keep you updated on this vital story as events unfold.
— Wolfgang Van Halen (@WolfVanHalen) October 16, 2012
– If you’d like to re-familiarise yourself with the music of The Prodigy in advance of their performance at next year’s Future Music Festival in March, you’re in luck. Their breakthrough album The Fat of the Land is being given the fancy re-release treatment by XL Recordings to celebrate its 15th anniversary. In December you’ll be able to pick up the deluxe edition in digital, vinyl or CD format, which will come with a bonus set of remixes by Major Lazer, Zeds Dead, Noisia, Alvin Risk and others.
– Brooklyn MC and producer El-P released one of the finer hip-hop albums of the year with his bundle of menace called Cancer 4 Cure. (He also did the production work on Killer Mike’s similarly high-quality R.A.P. Music, he’s had a good year, El-P.) On Tuesday October 23, an instrumental version of Cancer 4 Cure is being put out by Fat Possum so that you can enjoy his excellent beats without being distracted by his excellent rapping.
– Canadian rapper Drake has graduated high school. Drake dropped out when he was a teenager to act in Degrassi: The Next Generation, in which he played a high school student. This year, he decided to pick up the one credit he needed to attain his high school diploma by correspondence.
97% on my final exam. 88% in the course. One of the greatest feelings in my entire life. As of tonight I have graduated high school!
— Drizzy (@Drake) October 18, 2012
– Paul McCartney is working on something, but nobody knows quite what. After releasing a covers album called Kisses On the Bottom earlier this year, he’s been back in the studio working separately with two producers: Mark Ronson (Amy Winehouse, Adele, Daniel Merriweather) and Ethan Johns (Ryan Adams, The Vaccines, Kings of Leon). He’s also mentioned that he’s working with video game studio Bungie, developers of the Halo series. Two albums and a theme song? One album with multiple producers and a score? We’ll have to wait and see.
– Andrea “Bot” Fratangelo has left Italian DJ duo Crookers to pursue a solo career. His former partner Francesco “Phra” Barbaglia will carry on remixing songs and filling Ministry of Sound compilations under the Crookers name.